Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summer is in Full Swing

Well life has happened again, but the days go on. I have been weeding and weeding and weeding and eating and weeding some more. The garden is looking better this year than it ever has in the past years. My onions, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers are looking good.

I just planted 4 rows of bush green beans. My originals seeds rotted in the ground due to all the rain we have been getting. I am hoping to have enough to can for us for the year. I also didn't get my corn in and so will be buying that from a local farm and canning enough again for the year. I am hoping to have a fall garden that will produce peas and give us some fall lettuces and potatoes.

Checklist of things to accomplish: (yes this is boring, but the only way I can keep track)

*plant another three rows of beans

*Find seed potatoes for the fall

*plan the fall garden and get seed

*put up trellis for remaing 5 cucumber plants

*7 dust the plants

* work on finding mulch and taller stakes for the tomatoes

* finish the elephant quilt for a customer

*finish the John Deere quilt for a customer


and the list goes on.... The dog days of summer are here as we are having heat indexes around 110. Needless to say it is steamy, which causes lots of thunderstorms and then the steam and then the storms and on and on.

I have been spending these hot afternoons reading about homesteads and providing the food your family needs. I would love to be able to raise most of the food we need and only have to support the store for a few odds and ends. I should be able to do this and am just still a little leery of being able to pull off some of the bigger projects. I am thinking about ordering in some dual purpose birds in order to be able to have some fresh chicken in the freezer for the winter. I did this a couple of years ago and we loved having all the fresh chicken available. I would also like to get a feeder pig and raise it for the pork, along with a jersey cow for milk. The memory of fresh butter would spur me on to milking every morning and evening.

As with everything daydreaming never hurt anyone and gives the idle mind a place to rest.

Now back to reality and the weeding!

Poof!

No comments: